Sunday, July 14, 2013

Prodigy (Legend #2) by Marie Lu



Let me start off by saying that the Legend series is one of my favorite series of all time. I love it so much and it’s so amazingly awesome. The first book in the series, Legend, was, of course, spectacular, and Lu did not disappoint AT ALL with her second book, Prodigy!

            After June and Day escape from the military center of Los Angeles and narrowly avoid Day’s execution at the expense of his brother’s life, the two flee to Las Vegas in the hopes of meeting up with the Patriots, the rebel group opposing the Republic, and Tess, Day’s childhood friend. Meanwhile, the Elector Primo dies from his long-term illness and his son, Anden, assumes the position of Elector. When they arrive, the Patriots want June and Day to aid in a plot to assassinate the new Elector. June goes undercover and gets close with the new, young Elector and she discovers that he may not be the bad guy that the Patriots make him out to be. Will June and Day be able to kill what may be the Republic’s only hope for change? Or will they stop the plot before it’s too late and find out who the real enemy of the State is? Find out by reading it! Seriously, do it NOW. You won’t regret it, I assure you!

            Once again, Lu has astonished me with her amazing characters. Both June and Day have such depth and there was a lot of character development in this book, considering that it was a sequel. June is still as fierce and determined as ever. Day is kind-hearted and enthusiastic. I love both June and Day because they are so amazing and I wish that I could do half of the stuff that they can do. They can scale buildings like it’s nobody’s business. I want to be able to do that so bad! I mean, they have an otherwise rough life, but the physical feats they are capable is astounding and I wish I cold be as cool of them. Oh, jealousy. (See my Legend review for more reasons why I love June and Day)  As a last note on the characters, let me just mention that Kaede is really awesome. Okay, that is all.

            The story Lu wrote was full of twists and turns and there were a lot of things that happened that I could not guess beforehand. I didn’t even know who the actual evil person was until June figured it out. It’s awesome when the reader figures things out at the same time as the character does because then you get so caught up in the story, and that is how Prodigy was. It was SO AMAZING. Lu also once again did a phenomenal job with the multiple points of view. As it switched back and forth from June to Day, I could tell which character was talking because the two narrations were written so differently. It’s not often that I like books with multiple points of view, but I love this one! The only criticism that I have of the plot is that there was one unnecessary death, but that could just be my grief talking because I’m still not over it. People who have read the book, you know who I mean. So many tears! Also, the ending? The people who haven’t read this book yet, prepare yourselves for that because preparing definitely needs to be done before reading this ending. My heart broke a little and only the next book will be able to heal it. Write quickly, Marie Lu!

With amazing characters, an awesome storyline, and dynamic narrations, Prodigy was probably one of the best sequels I have ever read. I am so looking forward to reading the next book in the series, Champion, but I have to wait until November to read it! The wait shall be painful, but I shall carry on!


I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH!! 5 Smileys!




No comments:

Post a Comment