Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner #2) by James Dashner


Warning: If you have not read The Maze Runner, then this review may contain some spoilers.

Once again, Mr. Dashner has amazed me. I am officially in love with The Maze Runner series and with Thomas.

            Just as Thomas and the other Gladers thought they were finally safe, WICKED forces them into yet another Trial; this one taking place in the Scorch, the land ravaged by the deadly solar flares and filled with Cranks, people with the Flare. They must cross this land and reach a safe haven within two weeks. The day before they are set out into the Scorch, Teresa disappears and is replaced with a boy named Aris, who was in the same position as Teresa in the Glade, only his Maze was filled with only girls. This time, WICKED has made the Trials even harder and the Variables ever more dangerous. Plus, Thomas will be betrayed worse than he could ever imagine. If the Variables don’t kill him, the heartache might.

            I still loved Thomas, Newt, and Minho. They were my favorites in The Maze Runner and they did not disappoint! I loved them for all of the same reasons as I did in The Maze Runner. Newt was funny and Minho was tough. Thomas was sweet, compassionate, kind, and brave, sometimes stupidly so, which made him even more endearing. In this book, I found a new sense of respect for her. She had to do a lot of hard things and she did them without complaint. There is also a new character, Brenda, who I really liked. She was smart and funny and an all-around cool person.

            The plot was amazing. There were some parts where I was so surprised, and slightly aghast, but it was so nicely paced. As most of you who have read The Maze Runner already know, Dashner’s writing is fantastic. My favorite quote from this book was, “He turned to look just in time to see the rain start falling outside as if the storm had finally decided to weep with shame for what it had done to them.” It may not sound like much, but in context, this is a powerful quote. I just love Dashner. And the ending? CLIFFHANGER! I need the next book, The Death Cure, immediately if not sooner! This is a definite should-read! So go read it now! And I hope you all have a wonderful day!

I am IN LOVE with this series! 5 Smileys!


No comments:

Post a Comment