Saturday, October 27, 2012

Broken by A.E. Rought




I really don’t know what to say about Broken by A.E. Rought. Really, I don’t. Sometimes it was heinous and sometimes it was okay. I just… I’ll try to figure this out. In the mean time, here’s a summary…

            Emma Gentry hasn’t been the same since her boyfriend, Daniel, died. She’s been sulking and moping around, mostly at a graveyard where Daniel isn’t even buried… Yeah, I don’t know. Then Emma meets Alex Franks, the only son of a world-renowned surgeon. His father wants him to take a very specific path in life, but after waking up after a “fatal” accident, Alex has been having different thoughts, dreams, visions, and they don’t exactly follow his father’s plans for his success. When Alex seems strangely familiar to Emma, she can’t help but be intrigued. Little did she know that he would drag her into a huge mess that involves being injured numerous times, mostly in stupid ways. And I will give you a hint to what this book’s all about: Frankenstein. That is all I shall say on the subject!

As I said before, I can’t really understand this book, so this review is going to be VERY different from the others I have done. I’m also in a snarky mood right now, so I’m sorry if this sounds mean, but I’m just speaking my mind over here. You know, the First Amendment and such…

            When Emma first sees Alex, an electric current courses through her body and nearly stops her heart… is that what happened? Did it really? Well, girl, stay away from the dang electrical sockets when you’re looking at people! It may give you the wrong idea…. I don’t understand why authors of YA books say that a bolt of electricity magically strikes them upon seeing their “true love,” because I’m pretty sure that doesn’t happen. Someone correct I’m if I’m wrong, but I don’t think I am. And has anyone ever gotten electrocuted before? Because it hurts. It’s not romantic or anything of the sort. I would think feeling electricity when you see someone would automatically detract from them, but hey, what do I know?

            Also, Emma is obsessed with him in two seconds flat. Why? Is it because he’s hot or something? What is it? Because I have seen plenty of attractive people in my life and I don’t become creepishly obsessed with them instantaneously. Actually, I don’t really become this weirdly obsessed with anyone, so I would say she displays some stalkerish tendencies. She’s also slightly self-destructive because she purposely cuts herself on a piece of grass during science class (yes, it is as random as it sounds) because Alex isn’t at school from one day. Um…. Okay….

            In the book, she says, "No new guy is going to fill that void he left." The very next day, she’s like, “Alex I love you, love me. What, Daniel who?” So obviously someone fills that void he left and you figured that one out the second you saw him when you got hit with some kind electrical bolt out of nowhere.

            Alex wears his hood all the time and apparently that’s sexy and mysterious? Umm, no, I think it’s kind of creepy. And no teacher would let a student wear a hood all day, anyway, so that’s not very realistic. While we’re on the subject of hoods, this woman uses the word “cowl” an overwhelming amount of times. Someone should give her an award for knowing an obscure word for “hood,” because I think that’s what she was going for there…

            Throughout the entirety of the book, Emma was like, “I’m not sure I even like Alex,” or “I haven’t even known him long enough to like him yet.” I know what you’re thinking: What’s wrong with that? The answer: Nothing. It’s her actions that are the bad part. She kisses him and slow dances with him and does so many things that she wouldn’t do if she didn’t like him. She’s super hypocritical and I don’t understand her at all. She says one thing, then does something else. It’s confusing as heck, I tell you.         

            There is one thing about this book that I must admit I liked, and that is Alex. I know everything I’ve said thus far leads you to believe that I didn’t like him, but I thought he was perfectly lovely. He was terribly adorable and sweet throughout the book, so I would say he’s definitely the one redeeming factor of this book. There isn’t much else…

            Rought’s grammar could be a tad awkward at times and there’s also… they’re not plot holes, but holes in the telling of the story. For instance, Alex is fighting someone named Josh and they’re on steps and Josh is above Alex on the steps. Alex falls down the steps and somehow rolls into Josh… then the next minute they’re next to a chair and a desk… on the steps… yeah, I didn’t really catch that. And the fighting that they were doing, it would have been impossible for anyone to fight like that on steps. Not even Jackie Chan could do that. Yeah. I think you get the picture.

            This book is extremely offensive to redheads. I would be insulted if I had red hair. She is always mentally making fun of this kid with red hair and saying horrible things about how he could never look sexy because he’s a redhead and how his freckles were gross or something like that. These are her words, not mine, so don’t blame me for them!

Yeah, I know that review was mean. But I can’t help it! Don’t put things like this in books if you don’t want people to point them out, okay? 

This just was not my book. 2 Smileys!


No comments:

Post a Comment