Monday, October 1, 2012

Rockoholic by C.J. Skuse





I went into Rockoholic by C.J. Skuse thinking that it would be a light, fluffy read. I was kind of right.

            You know that one celebrity that you would give anything just to meet? To talk to him for one minute, receive one smile? Well, for Jody, that one guy would be Jackson Gatlin, lead singer of The Regulators, the new popular American rock band. When Jody scores a ticket to his concert, she’s right in the front row, and after a series of events, he ends up… in her garage? Recovering from withdrawal and the brightness of fame, Jackson is not who Jody thought he was, much to her dismay. It becomes apparent that Jackson doesn’t want to go back to his celebrity, but how can someone as famous as Jackson hide for so long? As Jody and her best friend, Mac, try to cope with this raging rock star, the media is searching for the elusive celeb. Will Jody get Jackson to safety before the media finds him, or will he be thrust back into the spotlight?

            There is only one that that I didn’t absolutely love about this book, and that was Jody. She was incredibly stupid; she made horrible decisions at every turn, but I have to admit that she did have guts. I mean, I wouldn’t be brave enough to actually try to steal a rock star from his own concert. But at the same time, I liked Jody, despite her stupidity. She was quite endearing. Mac was my favorite character because he was such a good friend, plus he was into theater (as am I). He was reliable and really funny and his little sister, Cree, was adorable. Jackson, at first, was horrible, but by the end, I came to love him. He was kind of sweet by the end.

            This book was incredibly funny. I actually had to stifle laughs while I was reading it into the wee hours of the morning. I could barely put it down and it captivated me right away. I understood how Jody felt about Jackson (maybe not to that extreme level, but a much more mild one) and that helped me connect to her thought process on why it was okay to abduct a superstar. It was kind of a fluffy read, but I didn’t expect to cry at the end. But I did cry. And on my birthday, of all days! Gah. But anyway, it wasn’t quite as fluffy as I first thought it would be. It also made me a lot more interested about books that are not about supernatural things; It made me branch out more, and for that, C.J. Skuse, I thank you! I also thank you for entertaining me endlessly with this book of yours!

I absolutely LOVED thins book! 5 Smileys!


No comments:

Post a Comment