Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Halflings by Heather Burch



*Do not be deterred by the weird cover! I read the Kindle version, so this is the first time I'm seeing it, and I have to admit that it is a bit strange and not something I would normally read, but still read it!


It’s been a long time since I got so caught up in a book that I stayed up to some ungodly hour of a school night to read a book for fun. But Halflings by Heather Burch forced me to.

            Nikki wasn’t like other girls. She rode a motorcycle, had a black belt in karate, had a deep love for art, and didn’t wear the best clothes. But when she’s inexplicably targeted by the evil powers that be, she needs protection, which comes in the form of three strange boys: Mace, Raven, and Vine. They are Halflings and there is only one thing that they are forbidden to do: fall in love with a human. So one or more (I’m not gonna give it away, geez) of the boys must battle his/their foe(s), as well as the battle raging inside of him/them. Will Nikki be crushed before they find the reason why the bad guys want her? Or will she defeat the barrage of evils coming her way and survive through it all?

            All right, it’s been a while since I did a review, so forgive me if I’m a bit rusty. Overall, I liked Nikki. I thought that she was pretty strong and tough most of the time. I mean, no one can be strong all the time, right? She actually had substance so there was a real personality for the boy(s) to love, so that actually made sense. Let me just say now that I loved all three of the boys right away. They were awesome. Mace was the sweet one, Raven was the… dark?... one, and Vine was the baby one. Seriously, he was adorable, like a little kid. They all had definite and different personalities, which I really enjoyed. Each one was unique.

Now for the writing/story line part! She used a lot of similes and metaphors and such in her writing and I really liked them. Some were really clever, and I love me some poetry, so that was enjoyable. And the story line was AMAZING. Something about it made me want to devour the whole story all in one sitting. I got pulled into the book almost instantaneously and stayed sucked in (Unfortunately, in the middle of reading this I had to do a project for school and stop reading- I was so upset).

This book was definitely a fun read and I am so excited to read the next one. Which I get to do ahead of time because I am part of Heather Burch’s book tour for the next book, Guardian, which comes out on October 9, 2012! So look forward to yet another book tour, which should probably be happening sometime in the next two or three weeks! Ta-ta for now!

Definitely read this book! It was totally captivating! 5 Smileys!


No comments:

Post a Comment