Friday, June 29, 2012

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5) by Cassandra Clare



All right. I finally got to reading The City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare. So I shall tell you about it!
            Jace is gone. He disappeared off the roof, as did Sebastian, the night Lilith was killed. It just so happens that Sebastian was, in fact, never dead, and he and Jace are connected, both physically and mentally. When one of them gets hurt, the other feels it, too. Jace will do whatever Sebastian wants because Sebastian is the more dominant of the pair. So, Clary sneaks away to be with Jace and Sebastian and takes with her a faerie ring that will help her communicate telepathically with Simon so that she can foil their evil plan or something like that. Meanwhile, they are all having relationship problems: Alec is questioning the possibility his and Magnus’ future together, Isabelle doesn’t know how to tell Simon how she feels, Jordan wants to get back together with Maia and he doesn’t know how she will react, and Clary is struggling to stay with this Jace-who-is-not-Jace. There’s a whole bunch of relationship drama in there.

            Okay, so my favorite character of this book was Sebastian, I think. Either him, Magnus, or Simon, but I feel like everyone loves the last two, so Sebastian it is. I don’t know why I like him so much. While reading, I kept picturing him and Clary standing over a burning world on a mountain or something, wind blowing through their hair, two perfectly beautiful and powerful people commanding an evil army, and I wanted to be Clary. Now, I’m not saying that I want the world to burn or anything, but I don’t know, the image in my head just seemed cool. And I didn’t really get the feeling that Clary and Sebastian were brother and sister, they felt more like love interests for some reason. Or maybe it was just wishful thinking. Also, everyone just kept saying that he doesn’t have the ability to feel anything, but I think that he does, so Clare didn’t do a very good job of convincing me that he was just a big ball of evilness.
           
            Moving onto Clary. At times, Clary seemed really whiny and bratty, like a little kid. At others, she just seemed kind of stupid, while at others, she was okay. She definitely isn’t one of my favorite female protagonists, at all, and Jace isn’t one of my favorite male protagonists, either. I guess he wasn’t exactly himself in this one, but he was a little funny when he was being cocky and making jokes. But that was it.

            Okay, I did not like the ending of this book one bit. It has something to do with Alec and Magnus (the only couple I actually like in this book), but I’m not going to tell you any more than that because then I would be giving stuff away and that would be not good. This fifth book was definitely better than the fourth, but I think Clare should have stopped after the third one because it all went downhill from there.

            There were times when the story was a little slow and I was like, “Okay, just skip these characters and go on to more exciting stuff.” I found myself skipping ahead a lot, then having to force myself to go back and actually read it, so the story didn’t exactly captivate me the way it should have. Okay, well it wasn’t as bad as it could have been, but it wasn’t as good as it should have been.

This book was okay. 3 Smileys!


No comments:

Post a Comment