Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Forgiven (The Demon Trappers #3) by Jana Oliver


Forgiven by Jana Oliver, the third book of the Demon Trappers series was freaking FANTASTIC. You know how most series progressively get worse with each new installment? Well, this series is exactly the opposite. With each book, my relationships with the characters grow and I come to love each one more and more, as it should be.
            Forgiven picks up with Riley Blackthorne and her father, master trapper Paul Blackthorne, being reunited once again. Of course, Paul is reanimated and has literally sold his soul to the devil. To make matters worse, a new kind of zombie demon has popped up that is nearly impossible to kill. Usually, Riley has the help of her frenemy, Denver Beck, but he is refusing to talk to her because he is mad at her for sleeping with the Fallen angel, Ori. Oh, and Riley made a deal with Heaven to save her ex-boyfriend’s life. All she has to do is prevent the coming war between Heaven and Hell. That shouldn’t be too hard, right? Right?
            I absolutely LOVED the characters in this book. They were all so realistic and I liked how Oliver spelled the words that they were saying in their accents like “ya” for “you”(Southern accent) and “verra” for “very”(Scottish accent). First of all, I loved Riley because I love the name Riley. But besides that, she was completely relatable. She was not fearless, but she overcame her fears when she had to. She was also brave when she had to be, but she occasionally freaked out, but in her situation, who wouldn’t? I know I would have done a lot more than just freak out. On top of all of that, she was really funny. Next is Denver Beck, and I adore both his first and last name. He is also really funny and he’s heroic, so he’s kind of cool. I like him even if I can’t really think of anything to say about him right now. Hmm.
Anyway, I liked the story line of Forgiven, as well. It was really surprising and I thought all of the events flowed together nicely; there was nothing that could have been taken out, then one could read the story just as easily without it; everything had its place, so I thought it was clever. Another note on the characters is that they did not fight a needless amount and they also didn’t fight over the stupidest things; they forgave (but did not forget), the way normal people would. So basically, the characters were like real people and not stupid. The supporting characters were entertaining and really added a lot to the story. I especially loved Master Stuart and Mort. The only people I didn’t like were the bad guys, but that’s what is supposed to happen (DUH) so that was good.
Overall, the Demon Trappers series is incredibly fun and I can’t wait for the next one to come out: Foretold, which comes out in August of 2012. I would definitely recommend this series to anyone and everyone. You will have a fun time reading not only Forgiven, but also the first two books, The Demon Trappers Daughter and Soul Thief. 

I LOVE this book and this series! 5 Smileys!


No comments:

Post a Comment